Sunday, October 2, 2016

Rocky Mountain Hurt

     Per usual, this is a very tardy blog entry. A lot has happened since I last wrote on here, but in other ways, not much has changed. The biggest change is that I made the decision to move to Denver, Colorado at the very end of May. I took a position working at a run specialty store, Runners Roost.
     Living in Colorado has been great (only four months in, but still). The weather is fantastic and the scenery is wonderful. I have not complained about the wind once since living here, something that seemed to be an everyday bother in Wichita. I have not gone west, into the mountains, as much as I would like to, but I have climbed five 14'ers and gone on a couple of fun trail runs, so that's something.
Running at Kenosha Pass at the end of September. My foot did not feel great, but the views made it worth it.

     The part that has not changed much since my last post is my running health. I was actually able to run consistently for the first two months I was out here, even four weeks at 80ish miles per week. But my foot was always a bother, and it has recently led me to shut down running for at least a week. No, it is not the same bullshit metatarsalgia that my right foot plagued me with for much of this year. That ailment is being held at bay. This time it's my left foot and it is, by all accounts, a bad case of plantar fasciitis. Before the 2014 Boston Marathon I had a very mild case that went away relatively quickly, but it has returned with a vengeance.
     I am very lucky to have access to great chiropractors at my job. For the past few months I have been seeing, Dr. Nicholas Studholme, and I believe in his philosophy and treatments. He has given me strengthening exercises and advice throughout the process.  We tried to keep me running while trying to heal, but this week I made the decision to stop running and see if that helps. I know it sounds silly to wait this long to stop running and let it heal, but the end goal is to run healthy, and I wanted to continue to run and heal at the same time.
     So, for now I am on the bike a lot (I really do love cycling, too) or just taking full rest days. Fortunately, there are no races or events that I am particularly interested in for the remainder of the calendar year. THE main goal is to be healthy and running at the end of December to roll right into a marathon training cycle for the 2017 Boston Marathon.
     2015 was a hell of a year for running and staying healthy. 2016 has been, by far, the most injury riddled year I have had, so far. It is all part of the journey. Cheers until next time, my friends!
I do love cycling and being back on the bike more. It's not like Colorado is a bad place to ride.
 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment